McLaren Vale Merlot
What You Can Expect From McLaren Vale Merlot
McLaren Vale Merlot excel at making and supplying the best and highest quality wines South Australia offers. Merlot is a dark blue wine of the grape variety and is the primary grape of Bordeaux wines. As the most popular wine in the red wine market, merlot releases three different flavours. One is a soft and fruity flavour, another being a smooth flavour with a hint of tannins, and the last is a more tannic flavour that’s similar to the taste of cabernet sauvignon.
Benefits of Australian Merlot
Merlot wines have many health benefits; however, we would like to remind you of a few of these so you can savour every sip, knowing it is good for you:
• Red wines are rich in antioxidants such as resveratrol, catechin, proanthocyanidins that are responsible for keeping you healthy.
• The polyphenols in red wines may prevent unwanted blood clotting in your veins. It keeps your blood vessels flexible.
• Resveratrol is an antioxidant responsible for keeping your cholesterol and systolic blood pressure levels low. This also helps keep your weight level more stable and in tune with your body type and has positive effects on your digestive system.
Tips For Getting More Value Out of Australian Merlot Wine
All wines have a specific food group temperature and glass shape to enhance the flavour of the wine.
• Starting with food pairing, merlot beats the odds when it comes to seafood. It is best to pair mostly dry whites with seafood, however merlot brings out the flavours of pink seafood like salmon, shrimp and tuna. Other foods ideally suited with merlot include mushrooms, bacon, truffles and pancetta. Strong flavour foods such as blue-veined cheese and high spicy foods might dampen the flavours of the fruity flavours of merlot wine and bring out the tannins.
• When storing merlot, you would benefit from temperatures up to 15 degrees. Serving merlot is best when the temperature of the wine is between 16 and 18 degrees. We suggest letting your wine “breathe” for a few minutes, this allows the tannins in the wine to soften, which results in a less intense flavour.
• There is a new trend about stemless wine glasses, which is perfect for red wines as you holding the glass will provide warmth that will release even more flavour. However, with white wines, you would benefit from a glass with a stem since they’re better enjoyed cold. When choosing a glass to serve your merlot in, choose a glass with a bowl-like shape that will accentuate the wine's flavours and scents. If you can’t find a glass specific for merlot, glasses for cabernet or Bordeaux would work just as well.
About Our South Australian Merlot
Growing up around vineyards and wineries, we have been living and breathing the essence of wines which sparked our passion for winemaking. Our parents and grandparents have passed along years of experience in the industry. We collaborate with our customers, which gives us the ability to share the experience of making the best wine available within the McLaren Vale region.
You can order your wines online or contact us for any further questions.